Skip to main content

Finding our holiday spirit

It's hard to believe that December will be upon us this week already...
Because I've been doing our holiday shopping for a while now, it's hard to get into the holiday spirit.  Well, that and we just got back from 11 days on the road.  And I refuse to participate in Black Friday shopping.  Malls?  Tons of people?  A stampede for a deal I can find online on Cyber Monday?  No thanks.

Tonight, we decorated our tree and hung our stockings (omg are they hideous) and it seems to have gotten us off on the right foot.  Also?  I jammed to some Christmas music at work today which was pretty great.

The best part of putting up the tree is admiring all of our ornaments that family & friends have shared with us over the years.

I received this angel the year my cousin Kristen passed away and she's been gracing our tree ever since.
I'm so thankful for the time I got to spend with Kristen in her short time with us.
Best guardian angel out there.
xo

Our tree has a bit of a pimp lean this year.

Santa joined the group in 2007:  my first year of teaching.
I received him from a student in my Head Start class named Erin.

This gem?
1983 from my godparents.
Who are still awesome & are coming for a visit early in December.

Thank you, Katie, for this great ornament.  :)

A co-worker made this ornament for us in 2010 for our first Christmas together as a married couple.
It's the only one we have!  Thank you Lisa!

Sharpies are amazing.
I did some handiwork on this guy last year.
"Los Porchs 2011"

We acquired this guy at Goodwill in 2011.
He was too cute to leave behind.

Porch's mom gave us matching ornaments that make me smile.
They're handmade from wood.

Porch & I bought a set of glittery snowflakes in 2008 for our first Christmas together in Chicago.

A wire snowman came from the team of mentors I worked with from Columbia who inspired me and eventually lead me to Reggio Emilia, Italy to explore my passion for early childhood education.
They're so ugly, they deserve to be ours.
We snagged them at Goodwill last year......
I'm considering crafting some new ones, though I remain unsure as to where I'd find the time.


Mid-tree-trimming, I exclaimed, "When are we going to make cookies?"  I believe decorating the tree tonight was just the thing to get us in the spirit for the holidays.  It's a busy time, but there's nothing we love more than spending time with our family and friends.  We're excited for all the time we'll get to spend with them this year!

Gearing up for the holidays,
Mrs. Porch


Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
Another free picture collage by Smilebox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is not 1950; I do not vacuum in pearls.

Hi, it's me - I know it's been a while, but I've been deep inside that bubble I mentioned when everything first happened in November 2020 and I am starting to emerge having done some serious healing and navigating within the trauma of being a suicide survivor and a sole parent. This has nothing to do with that though. I'm dumping this thought here because I need it documented: You know how the conservative crowd tends to use "Well I don't have any children, why should I help pay for the schools?" and "People are just too lazy to work, I don't know why we need social services to help people pay for their child care and food?" I'm noticing those are the same voices I hear in restaurants complaining that there are no servers. No bartenders. No one available to change their oil or to do other trade work. And no one to watch their children.  The CEO of the company I work for posted a big response about how child care is the gatekeeper to folks

Changing of the Seasons

We are approaching the one-year anniversary of when Ryan completed suicide. It brings a lot of emotions and feelings and memories and honestly - exhaustion. I have spent the last year in therapy digging myself out of a lot of those feelings and learning how to be Danie and not Porch and Danie. There have been a lot (!) of tears, a lot of me yelling at Ryan, cursing his name for leaving me to parent alone, a lot of wondering what comes next for the girl gang, a lot of rebuilding. But we're here. I'm here. And arguably stronger than ever (though not physically - listen, I eat my feelings and will work on that side of things later -- DO NOT SEND ME MLM BS ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT). I am much more aware of myself and the girls and more emotionally present than I've ever been. Those girls have been my light through some really dark shit. The seasons are changing. We are almost through our season of "firsts." And if you know, you know. If you don't, you're quite fort

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thursday morni