Skip to main content

In 2016

I hate resolutions.  I find the whole process of finding something to work towards just because it's a new year exhausting.  I also find it humorous to watch as the number of cars in the gym parking lot dwindle with each passing day as people throw in the towel.  Full disclosure, I'm only seeing those cars because the gym is right next to Starbucks and I'm getting coffee; I have never had a resolution to "work out every day" or "stop eating sugar."  I know me.  I'm not going to set myself up for failure before the first month of the year is through.

2015 was a hard year.  As a whole, it was filled with good times with family and friends, work, and a general sense of happiness.  However, it wasn't all happy.  Even before I became unemployed, I had a nagging sense of unhappiness.  I was feeling guilty for working so much and let that guilt tell me I was a bad mother.  I let work interfere in my most meaningful relationships and I find myself resenting that.  I let myself become totally immersed in being a mom and forgot that I have other complexities to who I am as a person.

2016, I see you.  2016 is the year of me.  It sounds conceited and self-centered, but I am making a promise to myself to treat myself better.  To listen to my feelings when I feel stressed and change that course.  To give myself the grace I deserve when I realize it's the first day of 2016 and all I've accomplished thus far is a Target run and sleeping.  To remind myself that while Mama Bear is very much a part of who I am, it's not the only role I have... I am so much more!  I'm on a journey to find out who I am now that I am also a mom.

I'm focusing my energies on the positives I wish to see and the projects I have pushed aside with the exhaustion of raising a toddler and working a little too much.  I liked my fall bucket list so much because it helped me stay focused and find the time to do those things I had planned; 2016 deserves a bucket list too.  But let's be serious, this girl is not likely to give up sugar any time soon.

I'm working on the list and will be excited to share it when it's done; I'm thinking 12 things, one for each month.  Maybe a few bonus items.  I share these types of things because I like the accountability.  I also hope that by sharing some of my struggles, I can help others.  Even if you read this and are inspired or encouraged but never tell me, it was worth it.

Happy New Year!
Danie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Anniversary: Kicking off our IVF cycle

Today marks the one-year celebration of the first time I had to give myself an injection for our IVF treatment.  It was a day of SO much emotion, so much suspense, and of course, so much hope.  I remember giving myself the pep talk about the injections -- This is nothing compared to what labor will be like (and I kinda called that one).  It got easier each time, especially as I found others in the blog world who were going through the same thing as I was at the same time. I would do every single thing again, multiple times, if it meant I got to find my way to Charlotte.  This girl is my own living, beating heart, outside of my body.  I am so thankful to the team at IHR  here in Chicago for all of their kindness, support, and knowledge.  The team at IHR helped Porch and I start our little family and we could never fully express the gratitude we have for that gift. I am still thinking of those who are in the midst of their journey to parenthood, thos...

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thur...

Getting my ish together

It's hard to get myself together, you know what I mean?  It's like either I'm totally on it at home or I'm killin' it at work but never both at once.  It's always kinda been that way for me, but right now, I am in a weird place where I feel like I'm lucky if my socks match which is SO not me.  But it is.  Because I'm a new me.  This is my mommyhood life and I need to find a new balance. So that means I have to... ... lay my clothes out the night before ... lay C's clothes out the night before ... leave my bc by the coffee so I remember to take it each morning around the 6 am feeding ... leave the lunchbox near the bc so I remember to pack breastmilk for the day ... shower at night so I can sleep as long as possible after that early morning feeing ... go to bed before I'm exhausted (I'm still working on this one) ... let Porch do more cuddling so I can get my homework done (getting better at this, though I suspect hardship when I am b...