Skip to main content

Parenting 2: A Portrait

I just locked myself in my bedroom on a Friday night to pay bills in silence, if you're wondering how it's going over here. While we are most often doing swimmingly, there are moments of disbelief and frustration that result in a responsible adult making the decision to walk away slowly.

C: I'm going to eat this plastic bag.
R: Don't.
C: I'm going to! I'm going to eat this plastic bag!
D: Well, just so you know, if you do eat a plastic bag, you will probably choke and we'd most likely have to take you to the hospital where they may need to cut open your throat. And that just doesn't sound like a fun Friday. So how about you put the bag where it goes and I would love to play Monopoly Junior with you after dinner! And I'm sure daddy would like to join u--
C: No.
D: What?
C: He'll say no.
D: How do you know that?
C: I just do (she twirls out of the dining room and into the kitchen, still holding the aforementioned god damn plastic bag).
D: But you haven't asked him yet...
C: I've asked him for like 240 years.
R: You just got that game for Christmas and the two times you've played it, I've played too. You beat me both times.

I should mention that it was as I was asking how she could possibly know that Ryan wouldn't want to play that I was actually sliding up the stairs and into the bedroom (it's the only upstairs room with a lock). I took a deep, cleansing breath and took out my laptop to be fiscally responsible and pay my bills (hey, new year, new me, blah blah blah).

Shit.

I left the notebook that I use to budget downstairs and have to sneak back into the lion's den to grab it and hopefully get back up without being noticed. Fail. Just epic fail.

The moment is gone, she's back downstairs doing something else and I am reminding myself that someday, she won't want to be by me at all and I will, in fact, miss our discussions and her tiny person logic and inability to grasp time concepts.

So now I'll pay my bills and then jump right back into our chaos because it is beautiful and it is ours and there's nowhere else I'd rather be or anyone else I'd rather lose miserably to in Monopoly Junior on a Friday night.

But there will be wine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Anniversary: Kicking off our IVF cycle

Today marks the one-year celebration of the first time I had to give myself an injection for our IVF treatment.  It was a day of SO much emotion, so much suspense, and of course, so much hope.  I remember giving myself the pep talk about the injections -- This is nothing compared to what labor will be like (and I kinda called that one).  It got easier each time, especially as I found others in the blog world who were going through the same thing as I was at the same time. I would do every single thing again, multiple times, if it meant I got to find my way to Charlotte.  This girl is my own living, beating heart, outside of my body.  I am so thankful to the team at IHR  here in Chicago for all of their kindness, support, and knowledge.  The team at IHR helped Porch and I start our little family and we could never fully express the gratitude we have for that gift. I am still thinking of those who are in the midst of their journey to parenthood, thos...

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thur...

Getting my ish together

It's hard to get myself together, you know what I mean?  It's like either I'm totally on it at home or I'm killin' it at work but never both at once.  It's always kinda been that way for me, but right now, I am in a weird place where I feel like I'm lucky if my socks match which is SO not me.  But it is.  Because I'm a new me.  This is my mommyhood life and I need to find a new balance. So that means I have to... ... lay my clothes out the night before ... lay C's clothes out the night before ... leave my bc by the coffee so I remember to take it each morning around the 6 am feeding ... leave the lunchbox near the bc so I remember to pack breastmilk for the day ... shower at night so I can sleep as long as possible after that early morning feeing ... go to bed before I'm exhausted (I'm still working on this one) ... let Porch do more cuddling so I can get my homework done (getting better at this, though I suspect hardship when I am b...