Skip to main content

Cookin' up a storm

It's true.  I love to cook, but I also have those days when the mere thought of putting something together makes me curl up into fetal position.  I had read several recipes on Pinterest (yes, I'm fully aware of my addiction) and it dawned on me that precooking meals and freezing them was the most AMAZING idea ever.

I've been doing it for a while but the sight of fresh ingredients in my fridge and the smell of delicious pesto shrimp in my kitchen has left me wanting to share!

Tonight I put together two dishes:  Mac & Cheese and Creamy Pesto Shrimp
The secret is to line your 8x8 dish with foil (I've also tried plastic wrap but always come back to foil) so you can freeze the meal in the dish & pop it out to put into a storage bag.  Stay with me.

Marvelous Shells & Cheese (yeah, I just used elbow mac since that's what I had in my cabinet)

  • 16 oz pasta
  • 8 oz Velveeta
  • 1/3 C milk
  • 2 C cottage cheese (2%)
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz) cream of onion soup, undiluted
  • 3 C shredded Mexican cheese

Cook pasta according to directions.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine Velveeta & milk; cook and stir over low heat until melted.
Remove from heat.
Stir in cottage cheese & soup.
Drain pasta & add to cheese sauce; stir until coated.  Transfer to your pan (this would fit into 13x9 dish, but I use (2) 8x8 pans since it's just the two of us & this seems to be the perfect size for us).  Sprinkle with cheese.  I then added French's fried onions (to complement the onion soup).  You can use bread crumbs or something similar.
I froze one at this stage.
The other got thrown into the oven at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.







Creamy Pesto Shrimp


  • 1 lb linguine
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 2 C heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1C Parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 C pesto
  • 1 lb shrimp



Bring large pot of lightly salted water to boil.  Add pasta & cook 8-10 min (al dente)
In large skillet, melt butter.  Stir in cream & season with pepper.  Cook 6-8 minutes.
Stir in Parmesan.  Blend in pesto.  Cook 3-5 minutes until thick.
Stir in shrimp & cook until pink.
Serve over linguine.



The mac & cheese got rave reviews tonight from Porch and I'm pretty eager to try the Pesto Shrimp sometime this week!

Hope the recipes make your tummy happy!

Ready for those nights when I want to do nothing but lounge on the couch!!!!!

Comments

  1. Where does one find cream of onion soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it at the grocery store near all of the soups... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Anniversary: Kicking off our IVF cycle

Today marks the one-year celebration of the first time I had to give myself an injection for our IVF treatment.  It was a day of SO much emotion, so much suspense, and of course, so much hope.  I remember giving myself the pep talk about the injections -- This is nothing compared to what labor will be like (and I kinda called that one).  It got easier each time, especially as I found others in the blog world who were going through the same thing as I was at the same time. I would do every single thing again, multiple times, if it meant I got to find my way to Charlotte.  This girl is my own living, beating heart, outside of my body.  I am so thankful to the team at IHR  here in Chicago for all of their kindness, support, and knowledge.  The team at IHR helped Porch and I start our little family and we could never fully express the gratitude we have for that gift. I am still thinking of those who are in the midst of their journey to parenthood, thos...

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thur...

Getting my ish together

It's hard to get myself together, you know what I mean?  It's like either I'm totally on it at home or I'm killin' it at work but never both at once.  It's always kinda been that way for me, but right now, I am in a weird place where I feel like I'm lucky if my socks match which is SO not me.  But it is.  Because I'm a new me.  This is my mommyhood life and I need to find a new balance. So that means I have to... ... lay my clothes out the night before ... lay C's clothes out the night before ... leave my bc by the coffee so I remember to take it each morning around the 6 am feeding ... leave the lunchbox near the bc so I remember to pack breastmilk for the day ... shower at night so I can sleep as long as possible after that early morning feeing ... go to bed before I'm exhausted (I'm still working on this one) ... let Porch do more cuddling so I can get my homework done (getting better at this, though I suspect hardship when I am b...