Skip to main content

Los Porchs Visit the Museum

Of Science & Industry.

Though we have lived in Chicago for quite some time, today was the first visit to the Museum of Science and Industry for Porch.  I've only been there on field trips with the tiny humans from school.  So to have an entire day to roam and explore was pretty fantastic.  And I must admit, being an adult has serious perks.  We ate at the cafe in the museum for lunch and I got to order anything I wanted.  Huzzah!  (It really is the little things in life.)

Los Porchs Amazing Christmas Adventure 2011:
Ready to head out!
With our arrival, we were excited to note that I got in for free because I'm a teacher and Porch was able to get the Chicago resident rate though he didn't have proper documentation of this.  We got our tickets (including admission to the Dr. Seuss exhibit) and boarded the magical escalator to the 2nd floor.

I'm a sucker for the lights!

This is the only Seuss picture I think I have since no photos were allowed in the exhibit hall.  
Consider this my official recommendation for the exhibit.  Very interesting!  
One of the reasons I was attracted to the museum was the display of Christmas trees.  Several countries were on display.

Oh Norway, you're just too cute.

Oh he's FANCY!  :)  

My Pinterest instincts were buzzing at this point.

If you could "pin" something in real life, this would already be on a board.

Los Porchs can find cheese anywhere. 

This is what Canada was bringing to the table.
I searched for a Mountie but was unable to locate one.
Sorry Keel.

Try as they may, I will never believe that people in England are decorating their trees with framed pictures of William & Kate.  I just refuse.
Porch's nerdy-senses were tingling as this exhibit was worked into others; particularly the trains & airplanes. We began our adventure with the trains & the model trains.  Porch turned into a fun-sucker (just for a minute) with this fantastic blurb:  I'm not going to pose for a picture at every exhibit.  That's fine, I will.  Don't be such a Grinch.  I am happy to report that we had smooth sailing from then on.
Oh hey there ;)
Now if you've never been, I highly recommend this museum for learners of all ages based on the hands-on and interactive nature of the exhibits.  For example:  the fluffiest newly hatched chicks ever.

Me:  They're so fluffy I'm gonna die!
Porch:  I just wanna take 30 to 40 of these and compress them into chicken nuggets.

There you have it folks, the difference between men and women.


Just wanna put you in my pocket.
We even made our very own Gravitron and got to watch the entire production process.  Fun fact?  It has "Los Porchs" etched on the top.  Nice little keepsake if I do say so myself.  For the low, low cost of only $5.
See?  Posing for another picture.
No more Grinch!
We had a fun day exploring and are now making a delicious dinner on the grill before we exchange gifts tonight.  One of my dearest friends shared some exciting news tonight and I feel like I'm going to BURST waiting to share the news, but alas, I will wait.

... let's get to the opening of gifts, shall we?


Klaus, I know you're reading this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is not 1950; I do not vacuum in pearls.

Hi, it's me - I know it's been a while, but I've been deep inside that bubble I mentioned when everything first happened in November 2020 and I am starting to emerge having done some serious healing and navigating within the trauma of being a suicide survivor and a sole parent. This has nothing to do with that though. I'm dumping this thought here because I need it documented: You know how the conservative crowd tends to use "Well I don't have any children, why should I help pay for the schools?" and "People are just too lazy to work, I don't know why we need social services to help people pay for their child care and food?" I'm noticing those are the same voices I hear in restaurants complaining that there are no servers. No bartenders. No one available to change their oil or to do other trade work. And no one to watch their children.  The CEO of the company I work for posted a big response about how child care is the gatekeeper to folks

Changing of the Seasons

We are approaching the one-year anniversary of when Ryan completed suicide. It brings a lot of emotions and feelings and memories and honestly - exhaustion. I have spent the last year in therapy digging myself out of a lot of those feelings and learning how to be Danie and not Porch and Danie. There have been a lot (!) of tears, a lot of me yelling at Ryan, cursing his name for leaving me to parent alone, a lot of wondering what comes next for the girl gang, a lot of rebuilding. But we're here. I'm here. And arguably stronger than ever (though not physically - listen, I eat my feelings and will work on that side of things later -- DO NOT SEND ME MLM BS ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT). I am much more aware of myself and the girls and more emotionally present than I've ever been. Those girls have been my light through some really dark shit. The seasons are changing. We are almost through our season of "firsts." And if you know, you know. If you don't, you're quite fort

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thursday morni