Skip to main content

Stay at home

Folks, I had been planning this great post about the fact that I covered the spread this morning and really got my poop in a group -- took Charlotte out for a *brisk* morning walk before the snow and wind arrived, shared a pancake breakfast with her and did puzzles before laying her down for morning nap and then putting together what promises to be a good CrockPot meal.  While sipping coffee.

But then I started to think about those other mornings. Because there are two very important things not mentioned above:

1. That's just a morning, anything can happen between now and when Daddy gets home that may result in me pacing the kitchen, anxiously watching for Ryan's truck.

2. They are not all that peaceful.

Some mornings just plain suck.  Some mornings, I struggle with the fact that I am not going to work and it's only highlighted by Charlotte pointing at Ryan's chair at the table and asking with her hands up "Daddy?" to which I reply, "Daddy went to work." It's a constant reminder (though sometimes good) that I am home and that Ryan is at work.

Being a stay at home mom is hard flipping' work and anyone who thinks otherwise can take a stroll in my shoes and chase my toddler.  Kudos to the mamas with more than one tiny human.  Being a stay at home early childhood professional is THE WORST.  I have internal conversations with myself daily reminding myself that screen time before two is meant to be interaction-based and I need to commit to being present with Charlotte as she navigates it.  I hate myself every time I turn on Mickey Fucking Mouse Clubhouse.  I hate that my child dances to the Hotdog Dance and gets so damn excited about it.  I feel sick to my stomach when she points to the word Disney and exclaims  "MeMe!" (which is toddler for Mickey).  (Actually, I kinda feel proud about that last one because she's using environmental print, but I wish it was something other than Mickey/Disney.)



I constantly have to remind myself to be kind to myself.  To give myself that grace I'm always telling others to give themselves.  To remember that I'm not at school, I'm raising my kid.  We don't need a lesson plan, but we do need a plan.  We don't need objectives as dictated by Head Start, but we do need purpose to our days.  Days when we "just" color and play with play dough make me feel like I am stuck in Groundhog's Day (or a really average classroom).  I need something more.

I started a bucket list for Charlotte and I; something I put together over the weekend to give us that sense of purpose and motivation.  I love play dough and coloring it totally my jam, but if we never do more than that, I am going to slip into madness.

Ryan gave me a Fitbit for Christmas and I am so thankful for that!  My brother started a Work Week Challenge and though we won't win (we don't have a treadmill and I have to worry about things like keeping a baby warm), being accountable for my steps is awesome.  It's what got me moving bright and early today with a very well-bundled baby who was possibly still half-asleep.  It's what makes me go downstairs to find things to do so I can get more stairs in!

If you have suggestions of things we can add to our bucket list, I'd love to hear them!  This week is another funky holiday week so we really only have four days home together.  So far, our list includes going to see Great Grandma, a Walmart run, and going to the library to check out more books.  It doesn't have to be something majestic, just something fun to get us out of the house (and free is always a good thing since this Mama is *obviously* still unemployed).  I've started a board on Pinterest with things she and I can attempt together.

If you're still reading this, you're some kind of awesome and clearly deserve a picture of how well bundled Charlotte was this morning.

I think I caught her off guard with our walk; usually we go in the afternoon, but we were up and out the door by 8:30 this morning and I let her wear her pajamas and new bathrobe with her (gah) Lambie slippers.  It was the first time she let me zip the bag on her stroller.  Homegirl was CUDDLED UP.

Here's to the stay at home parents -- to the moments that aren't Facebook/Pinterest/Instagram worthy (everyone has them, don't be fooled by what people post), those that make you want to pull every last hair out of your head, and most importantly, to the moments when everything clicks and you find your zen... may you be able to find that feeling and hold it with you when your toddler has decided to use your door as a coloring pad while you were warming up your coffee for the 3rd time.  

Cheers!
Mama Porch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Anniversary: Kicking off our IVF cycle

Today marks the one-year celebration of the first time I had to give myself an injection for our IVF treatment.  It was a day of SO much emotion, so much suspense, and of course, so much hope.  I remember giving myself the pep talk about the injections -- This is nothing compared to what labor will be like (and I kinda called that one).  It got easier each time, especially as I found others in the blog world who were going through the same thing as I was at the same time. I would do every single thing again, multiple times, if it meant I got to find my way to Charlotte.  This girl is my own living, beating heart, outside of my body.  I am so thankful to the team at IHR  here in Chicago for all of their kindness, support, and knowledge.  The team at IHR helped Porch and I start our little family and we could never fully express the gratitude we have for that gift. I am still thinking of those who are in the midst of their journey to parenthood, thos...

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thur...

Getting my ish together

It's hard to get myself together, you know what I mean?  It's like either I'm totally on it at home or I'm killin' it at work but never both at once.  It's always kinda been that way for me, but right now, I am in a weird place where I feel like I'm lucky if my socks match which is SO not me.  But it is.  Because I'm a new me.  This is my mommyhood life and I need to find a new balance. So that means I have to... ... lay my clothes out the night before ... lay C's clothes out the night before ... leave my bc by the coffee so I remember to take it each morning around the 6 am feeding ... leave the lunchbox near the bc so I remember to pack breastmilk for the day ... shower at night so I can sleep as long as possible after that early morning feeing ... go to bed before I'm exhausted (I'm still working on this one) ... let Porch do more cuddling so I can get my homework done (getting better at this, though I suspect hardship when I am b...