Skip to main content

Unhealthy Relationships

We can all see it.
We know when someone we love is in an unhealthy relationship.

But why is it not until that relationship hits the bottom that we express our true thoughts?  I know we don't want to squash others' happiness, I get that.  And we all need to make our mistakes, I get that too.  Further, I've come to appreciate that we shouldn't throw out obscenities about someone's ex because if that person comes back into the picture and then we just look like bitches.  We don't want to meddle.  Sure.

But I'm at a point in my life where I expect and hope that those who love me most will be secure enough in our relationship to be able to say --- WTF are you thinking?!  Most of them do.  I've come to rely on my mother's infinite wisdom, though it pained me when I realized I had been wrong all those years in doubting her.  Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and need an honest (and sensitive) reality check.

So back to those craptastic relationships:  they extend beyond romantic relationships.  You can be in many crappy relationships & I know this because I've participated in a few myself.

You can have a crappy friendship. (check.)
You can have a crappy romantic relationship. (check.)
Shoot, you can have a crappy relationship with yourself. (discount double check)
You can have crappy coworkers (I'm pretty fortunate in this area). (check)
You can have a disastrously crappy relationship with substances. (check)
And finally?  Here I am, in my boat, having a crappy relationship with food (which is technically a substance).

* waves from boat *

I suspect that my less than fabulous relationship stems from a stressful work environment in which I will eat to calm myself down and to focus and to deal and ... just because.  Having a desk is a new thing for me and weird.  Being sedentary for so long during the day has taken a toll.  Though I have to say, I've been opening this week and I kind of enjoying waking up early.  What. Did. I. Just. Say?!  Clearly I'm sick.

I need to take better advantage of opportunities for movement.  I sometimes go outside with the toddler/two's just to get my own body moving and I can engage them in some exercise as well.  But at the end of the day when I get home, I'm burned out.  I have 0 energy left for the fun stuff I like to do & often find myself on the couch, surfing imgfave or Pinterest for ideas for projects I'll likely never get to do because of this lack of energy.  And the TV just sucks me into that cycle further.

I hate New Years Resolutions.  They're stupid and never work and often leave people feeling like failures because they've set ridiculously unattainable goals.  So this isn't what it sounds like, I'm not resolving to give up food.  (Are you serious?  Have we met?)  Instead, I'm resolving to pay attention to what/when/why I'm eating and to take better care of this hot body.  =)  And maybe, just maybe, I can cut the TV out of my daily routine.  There's a novel idea.  I'm also considering going back to school for my Infant Toddler Certificate at Erikson which would surely keep me busy and on the move.  Stay tuned on that one...

What unhealthy relationships are you currently indulging?  Are you in one?


everybody hides things (skinny,fat,hurt,lies,fake,food,why)

 (gym,fat,food,love,pink,lady)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Anniversary: Kicking off our IVF cycle

Today marks the one-year celebration of the first time I had to give myself an injection for our IVF treatment.  It was a day of SO much emotion, so much suspense, and of course, so much hope.  I remember giving myself the pep talk about the injections -- This is nothing compared to what labor will be like (and I kinda called that one).  It got easier each time, especially as I found others in the blog world who were going through the same thing as I was at the same time. I would do every single thing again, multiple times, if it meant I got to find my way to Charlotte.  This girl is my own living, beating heart, outside of my body.  I am so thankful to the team at IHR  here in Chicago for all of their kindness, support, and knowledge.  The team at IHR helped Porch and I start our little family and we could never fully express the gratitude we have for that gift. I am still thinking of those who are in the midst of their journey to parenthood, thos...

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thur...

Getting my ish together

It's hard to get myself together, you know what I mean?  It's like either I'm totally on it at home or I'm killin' it at work but never both at once.  It's always kinda been that way for me, but right now, I am in a weird place where I feel like I'm lucky if my socks match which is SO not me.  But it is.  Because I'm a new me.  This is my mommyhood life and I need to find a new balance. So that means I have to... ... lay my clothes out the night before ... lay C's clothes out the night before ... leave my bc by the coffee so I remember to take it each morning around the 6 am feeding ... leave the lunchbox near the bc so I remember to pack breastmilk for the day ... shower at night so I can sleep as long as possible after that early morning feeing ... go to bed before I'm exhausted (I'm still working on this one) ... let Porch do more cuddling so I can get my homework done (getting better at this, though I suspect hardship when I am b...