Skip to main content

Unhealthy Relationships

We can all see it.
We know when someone we love is in an unhealthy relationship.

But why is it not until that relationship hits the bottom that we express our true thoughts?  I know we don't want to squash others' happiness, I get that.  And we all need to make our mistakes, I get that too.  Further, I've come to appreciate that we shouldn't throw out obscenities about someone's ex because if that person comes back into the picture and then we just look like bitches.  We don't want to meddle.  Sure.

But I'm at a point in my life where I expect and hope that those who love me most will be secure enough in our relationship to be able to say --- WTF are you thinking?!  Most of them do.  I've come to rely on my mother's infinite wisdom, though it pained me when I realized I had been wrong all those years in doubting her.  Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and need an honest (and sensitive) reality check.

So back to those craptastic relationships:  they extend beyond romantic relationships.  You can be in many crappy relationships & I know this because I've participated in a few myself.

You can have a crappy friendship. (check.)
You can have a crappy romantic relationship. (check.)
Shoot, you can have a crappy relationship with yourself. (discount double check)
You can have crappy coworkers (I'm pretty fortunate in this area). (check)
You can have a disastrously crappy relationship with substances. (check)
And finally?  Here I am, in my boat, having a crappy relationship with food (which is technically a substance).

* waves from boat *

I suspect that my less than fabulous relationship stems from a stressful work environment in which I will eat to calm myself down and to focus and to deal and ... just because.  Having a desk is a new thing for me and weird.  Being sedentary for so long during the day has taken a toll.  Though I have to say, I've been opening this week and I kind of enjoying waking up early.  What. Did. I. Just. Say?!  Clearly I'm sick.

I need to take better advantage of opportunities for movement.  I sometimes go outside with the toddler/two's just to get my own body moving and I can engage them in some exercise as well.  But at the end of the day when I get home, I'm burned out.  I have 0 energy left for the fun stuff I like to do & often find myself on the couch, surfing imgfave or Pinterest for ideas for projects I'll likely never get to do because of this lack of energy.  And the TV just sucks me into that cycle further.

I hate New Years Resolutions.  They're stupid and never work and often leave people feeling like failures because they've set ridiculously unattainable goals.  So this isn't what it sounds like, I'm not resolving to give up food.  (Are you serious?  Have we met?)  Instead, I'm resolving to pay attention to what/when/why I'm eating and to take better care of this hot body.  =)  And maybe, just maybe, I can cut the TV out of my daily routine.  There's a novel idea.  I'm also considering going back to school for my Infant Toddler Certificate at Erikson which would surely keep me busy and on the move.  Stay tuned on that one...

What unhealthy relationships are you currently indulging?  Are you in one?


everybody hides things (skinny,fat,hurt,lies,fake,food,why)

 (gym,fat,food,love,pink,lady)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is not 1950; I do not vacuum in pearls.

Hi, it's me - I know it's been a while, but I've been deep inside that bubble I mentioned when everything first happened in November 2020 and I am starting to emerge having done some serious healing and navigating within the trauma of being a suicide survivor and a sole parent. This has nothing to do with that though. I'm dumping this thought here because I need it documented: You know how the conservative crowd tends to use "Well I don't have any children, why should I help pay for the schools?" and "People are just too lazy to work, I don't know why we need social services to help people pay for their child care and food?" I'm noticing those are the same voices I hear in restaurants complaining that there are no servers. No bartenders. No one available to change their oil or to do other trade work. And no one to watch their children.  The CEO of the company I work for posted a big response about how child care is the gatekeeper to folks

Changing of the Seasons

We are approaching the one-year anniversary of when Ryan completed suicide. It brings a lot of emotions and feelings and memories and honestly - exhaustion. I have spent the last year in therapy digging myself out of a lot of those feelings and learning how to be Danie and not Porch and Danie. There have been a lot (!) of tears, a lot of me yelling at Ryan, cursing his name for leaving me to parent alone, a lot of wondering what comes next for the girl gang, a lot of rebuilding. But we're here. I'm here. And arguably stronger than ever (though not physically - listen, I eat my feelings and will work on that side of things later -- DO NOT SEND ME MLM BS ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT). I am much more aware of myself and the girls and more emotionally present than I've ever been. Those girls have been my light through some really dark shit. The seasons are changing. We are almost through our season of "firsts." And if you know, you know. If you don't, you're quite fort

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thursday morni