Skip to main content

The other side

It's weird over here, on the other side of the infertility line.  When we go to our appointments, we sit in the waiting room with other woman who may or may not have had struggle to conceive.  I mean, we don't wear an I on our clothing to mark us as infertile.  Once you finally find success in treatment, you're kind of thrust into the mainstream and "good luck!"  I can't quite describe it and I sometimes feel like a fraud because we only did 1 cycle of IVF and our fresh transfer worked.  There are women out there who are on 2nd or 3rd (or more) cycles of IVF and have done fresh transfers and frozen transfers.  It makes it really hard to feel like a member of this culture even though, by definition, we are very much a part of it.  Four years to make a baby?  We're in.

It's so strange when the nurse calls with test results of any kind and says "You passed with flying colors."  Really?  I'm so used to hearing there's something wrong with me that I have forgotten what normal feels like.  I'm so used to getting bad news and then working our way through it that I still have these moments of doubt.  I hold my breath at the start of every ultrasound.  What if something is wrong?  There is an audible exhale each and every time she pops up on the screen, moving and shaking for Dr. G.

We know that when we're ready for our next nugget(s), we will likely be returning to Dr. TK and that it likely won't happen the very first transfer.  We have 4 remaining snowflake embabies (they're frozen).  

All I know in this moment is that I am this baby girl's mom and she is fluttering around in the ol' uterus.  And she is more loved that I could have ever imagined & I haven't even seen her face yet.  We see Dr. G at the end of the month for her 20-week ultrasound & we'll see how things are going in there.  I feel at peace and less anxious that I have in a long time.  It's a good place to be.

xo

Comments

  1. I completely understand how you feel. We also got pregnant off our first IVF-ICSI fresh treatment. I am shocked when the nurse calls and tells me everything is fine because I'm so used to those calls with bad news. But just like you, I am enjoying having my little girl kicking and dancing in my tummy :) Nothing is better is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back from your amazing vacation! So jealous that you got some sunshine!! Looks like you had a good time :) I'm finally starting to bask in the joy of being pregnant & while I still wonder sometimes, "Is that her?" I know the feeling of her movements will only get more intense & I am so excited!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It is not 1950; I do not vacuum in pearls.

Hi, it's me - I know it's been a while, but I've been deep inside that bubble I mentioned when everything first happened in November 2020 and I am starting to emerge having done some serious healing and navigating within the trauma of being a suicide survivor and a sole parent. This has nothing to do with that though. I'm dumping this thought here because I need it documented: You know how the conservative crowd tends to use "Well I don't have any children, why should I help pay for the schools?" and "People are just too lazy to work, I don't know why we need social services to help people pay for their child care and food?" I'm noticing those are the same voices I hear in restaurants complaining that there are no servers. No bartenders. No one available to change their oil or to do other trade work. And no one to watch their children.  The CEO of the company I work for posted a big response about how child care is the gatekeeper to folks

Changing of the Seasons

We are approaching the one-year anniversary of when Ryan completed suicide. It brings a lot of emotions and feelings and memories and honestly - exhaustion. I have spent the last year in therapy digging myself out of a lot of those feelings and learning how to be Danie and not Porch and Danie. There have been a lot (!) of tears, a lot of me yelling at Ryan, cursing his name for leaving me to parent alone, a lot of wondering what comes next for the girl gang, a lot of rebuilding. But we're here. I'm here. And arguably stronger than ever (though not physically - listen, I eat my feelings and will work on that side of things later -- DO NOT SEND ME MLM BS ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT). I am much more aware of myself and the girls and more emotionally present than I've ever been. Those girls have been my light through some really dark shit. The seasons are changing. We are almost through our season of "firsts." And if you know, you know. If you don't, you're quite fort

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thursday morni