Skip to main content

Baptizing Le Nugget

There they are... got my first big hit of hormonal pregnancy tears this morning as I thought about baptizing our daughter & where we'd like to baptize her.  It just kind of hit me all at once with more clarity than I could have ever expected.

Let me back up a hot second; we attended a Lutheran Easter service this Sunday while visiting family and I was so totally turned off by this pastor's sermon and approach that it made me really reflect on what my beliefs are and when I feel most connected to a sense of faith.  Porch and I spoke in great detail about our hopes for our daughter and none of them included the messages being delivered at that Easter service -- the implicit messages, obviously.  There's not a terrible amount of difference between the Lutheran service and the Catholic service, but there was just a vibe that turned us both off.

As I drove to work this morning, it came over me as I was thinking about where we could baptize our daughter.  We don't plan to be in Chicago forever.  We have no idea what's coming next for us.  But there's one thing that is a constant in our lives.  We will always go north.  My childhood is filled with the most amazing memories of being at the cabin with my family and our grandparents.  Fun in the sun, marshmallows on the campfire, and church Sunday morning.  As much as we've all grown and changed over time, that church is still where we gather with my grandparents when we're up north.

When our lives were crumbling around us, our first instinct was to go Up North. It eases the soul.
I found this online the other day & think it perfectly describes the feelings and emotion of being up north.
I emailed the church to see if they would be open to such an idea.  I can honestly think of nothing more appropriate, more fitting, or more meaningful than introducing our peanut to faith in the north woods.  The north woods are a place of reflection; a place where I feel most connected to nature and God (or at the very least, the realization that there's a force bigger than us out there).  We have never made a trip up north and left unsatisfied.  We leave feeling balanced and calm.

I am anxiously awaiting the reply from the church.  Honestly, I'm kind of considering baptizing her in Bass Lake myself if they won't do it.  ;)

xoxo

Comments

  1. I really love this saying. I have another Up North saying similar to this that hangs on my wall with our pics from our trips to Lac duFlambeau! I got it in Minocqua! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here it is...

    "Up North"

    There's a lot of talk about "Up North"...it's the place where everyone seems to want to go to escape the pressures and frantic pace of everyday life. But where is "Up North"? Ask a dozen people and you may get as many answers.

    "Up North" is not so much a location as it is a state of mind. So how do you know when you've arrived "Up North"? When you feel the cares of the world begin to slip away...when you find yourself breathing a little deeper because the air seems purer somehow...when you notice the sky is bluer, the water is clearer, the trees taller, and the people smile a lot...then you know you're "Up North"!

    - Arlet Steel, Crandon, WI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this one too!! I love "up north," it's truly my happy place :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It is not 1950; I do not vacuum in pearls.

Hi, it's me - I know it's been a while, but I've been deep inside that bubble I mentioned when everything first happened in November 2020 and I am starting to emerge having done some serious healing and navigating within the trauma of being a suicide survivor and a sole parent. This has nothing to do with that though. I'm dumping this thought here because I need it documented: You know how the conservative crowd tends to use "Well I don't have any children, why should I help pay for the schools?" and "People are just too lazy to work, I don't know why we need social services to help people pay for their child care and food?" I'm noticing those are the same voices I hear in restaurants complaining that there are no servers. No bartenders. No one available to change their oil or to do other trade work. And no one to watch their children.  The CEO of the company I work for posted a big response about how child care is the gatekeeper to folks

Changing of the Seasons

We are approaching the one-year anniversary of when Ryan completed suicide. It brings a lot of emotions and feelings and memories and honestly - exhaustion. I have spent the last year in therapy digging myself out of a lot of those feelings and learning how to be Danie and not Porch and Danie. There have been a lot (!) of tears, a lot of me yelling at Ryan, cursing his name for leaving me to parent alone, a lot of wondering what comes next for the girl gang, a lot of rebuilding. But we're here. I'm here. And arguably stronger than ever (though not physically - listen, I eat my feelings and will work on that side of things later -- DO NOT SEND ME MLM BS ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT). I am much more aware of myself and the girls and more emotionally present than I've ever been. Those girls have been my light through some really dark shit. The seasons are changing. We are almost through our season of "firsts." And if you know, you know. If you don't, you're quite fort

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thursday morni