Skip to main content

Routines, yo

I am a creature of habit, it's what makes me so efficient at work when it comes to our routine paperwork and reports.  I thrive on routine.  And for many years now, I've been telling parents how much children thrive on routine as well.  After our first week of being back to work, Charlotte and I had a great little routine going.  It was awesome-sauce and somewhat predictable (as predictable as one week's worth can be).  On her first day of school, she slept 6.5 hours that night (!!!!).  I woke up at 3:30 and had to check to make sure she was still breathing.  Her teachers had her sleeping in her crib and I thought hey, I should start having her nap in her crib at home too since she was doing so well at the center.  She was consistently hitting 2.5-3 hour naps and 4-5 hours at night.

And then the weekend happened.

Ugh.  It was rough.  And to add to the craziness (in a good way), my parents and brother & sister-in-law came to visit.  And that baby didn't hit the crib ONCE for a nap while they were here; she caught cat naps while being passed and loved up on.  She's irresistible.  And my parents have expressed how much they dislike the swaddle because it looks like a baby straight jacket.  Yep, it does look a little crazy, but when she was wrapped up last week, she slept like a boss.  

Cue Monday.  Mondays suck all on their own, but after  weekend of snuggles and no consistency, boy did we struggle.  I got Charlie home Monday afternoon (she screamed the entire car ride home) and she refused to nap except when on my shoulder and even then, only for 5 minutes.  She slept in her crib for the evening and got some decent sleep, but even at school today she was still cat napping.

Realizing what I was up against, when I noticed Charlie was asleep in the car on the way home, I decided to make a Target run.  I needed to pick up missing dinner ingredients and some baby shower cards and there's a Starbucks so really -- no brainer.  I embraced her alertness this afternoon and spent quite some time chatting with Ms. Charlie and reading stories.  She helped me make dinner (ok, she watched).  We sent a selfie to Daddy at work.  She took a 15 minute nap in her Rock 'n' Play (woof, really?) just to tease me.  Eventually, I got her in a good sleep and down for a legit nap at 4 and she slept for a little over 2 hours.

When Porch got home, we ate dinner and I fed C and continued our deep conversations from the afternoon.  Noticing her sleepiness, we kicked it into bedtime mode a little early and got her into the bathtub, smothered in bedtime lotion, and into pajamas. I fed her and read a story then handed her to Porch for a burp and more stories (those eyes were rollin' back so I knew it was just a matter of time).  I jumped into the shower and by the time I was finished, baby girl was ooooooouttttt.  8:00pm bedtime?  Or 8:00 naptime?  Either way, both involve sleep and Mama & Daddy having some time to get things done to be ready for Sons of Anarchy tonight!

Hopefully we can get ourselves back on schedule!  Just in time for the weekend ;)

xo
Mama Porch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is not 1950; I do not vacuum in pearls.

Hi, it's me - I know it's been a while, but I've been deep inside that bubble I mentioned when everything first happened in November 2020 and I am starting to emerge having done some serious healing and navigating within the trauma of being a suicide survivor and a sole parent. This has nothing to do with that though. I'm dumping this thought here because I need it documented: You know how the conservative crowd tends to use "Well I don't have any children, why should I help pay for the schools?" and "People are just too lazy to work, I don't know why we need social services to help people pay for their child care and food?" I'm noticing those are the same voices I hear in restaurants complaining that there are no servers. No bartenders. No one available to change their oil or to do other trade work. And no one to watch their children.  The CEO of the company I work for posted a big response about how child care is the gatekeeper to folks

Charlotte {9 months}

Let's just put this out there, we picked Charlotte before Charlotte was a princess.  ;)  And I'm not sure that the royal baby will ever be called Charlie or Charlie Bug and I'm even more certain that I don't care what they named their kid.  It's just about to be an amazingly popular baby name and we were TOTES ahead of that trend. Charlotte is 9 months old already! Stats Weight:  20 lbs, 12 oz (86.13 %ile) Length:  29.75 inches (98.75 %ile) Head circumference:  18.23 inches (96.69 %ile) This girl is perfect.  She is proportional and amazingly squishy. Teeth:  still just the 2 lower, but I'm confident she'll have a few top teeth soon.  She's been a drool machine lately and everything is back to being in her mouth. Charlotte likes... ... walking around the house (holding mama and daddy's fingers) ... Army crawling, especially when she can pull on the high pile carpet in her room ... those Gerber wheel treat things ... bath time ... blo

Charlotte's birth story

Thank goodness this isn't my 40 week update; I was really nervous that I'd have to write one of those and even possibly the dreaded 41 week update!  Today was her due date, but we got to meet her just a little early.  Charlotte Esther joined our family at 2:07am on Friday, August 8th... and changed our lives forever.  There's now a squishy baby who calls for us and loves nothing more than snuggling on our chests.  We are, in fact, living the dream.  A dream 4 years in the making and worth every moment.  My heart is so full of love for Charlotte and I am so excited to see how she grows and changes. I have always enjoyed reading the birth stories of my blogger friends' babies and felt it gave me hope as it was the final moment in the battle against infertility, the crossing of a finish line.  So today, in celebration of love and this chubby cheeked baby girl, I share with you the story of Charlotte's birth. Charlotte's Birth Story... I woke up Thursday morni